Are you feeling a little stressed out? It’s kinda hard not to feel it right now. We’re getting hit pretty hard by an endless stream of negative headlines, our own compulsions to obsessively check social media on the Twitter and the Facebook, and whatever other static is in the air. It’s enough to bum you out if you let it.
A few days ago I got off the grid and it gave me a sense of clarity I hadn’t felt in a while. I was in Mt. Dora, Florida (by chance) after speaking at a writing conference in Orlando. The pace of Mt. Dora, the serenity of Lake Dora (where I even saw an alligator), the forced separation from most social media/email/web/24 Hour News cycle did wonders for me.
I think you could stand a break—even a short one—from all of it. And I’d like to help out with that.
Let’s get you a night or two away from the noise to let you focus on the things that give you a little peace of mind.
To that end, I will pay for a night or two of lodging for one of you (cost is the factor between one or two nights). We’ll pick the place together. It’s up to you to get there, pay for incidentals, etc. It can be in the woods or the city. It can be near you. It can be far away. It’s wherever you think you’ll be able to enjoy a deep breath, feel slightly off the grid, and appreciate the written word.
- You can’t have my phone number in your phone number collection.
- I can’t have your phone number in my phone.
- While you’re gone, you need to promise to spend a good amount of time reading and/or working on your own writing.
- You have to try really, really hard to not get on social media while you’re gone. If you can’t get rid of it totally, at least cut way, way back.
- Take time to breathe deeply and remember/discover how awesome it is to be alive in the world where, even though a lot of bad things get coverage, there’s an endless supply of beauty and wonderment.
- Guest will be picked on election night. *UPDATE* Another guest will be selected the night of 11/13/12
- Travel must happen in the United States
- To be eligible, I’ll need you to make a comment on Twitter (use hashtag #gridloss and make sure to use @tyrusbooks), Facebook, or in this post’s comment selection below. If you reply on Facebook or here, and you’re up for it, let us know why you need to get off the grid and where you’d think you’d go if you could. *UPDATE* for the second contest, guest will be selected only from the comment section of this post.
- This is being done by me, Ben LeRoy, and is not sponsored/endorsed/organized by my employer F+W Media
- Guest will be randomly selected in a transparent way using spreadsheets and a random number generator
- One person, one consideration. Don’t kill the spirit of this by trying to rig the system. If you do that, you’re kinda contributing to the nature of the problems I’m trying to help people avoid.
- I’ll update these guidelines every now and then. You should check back accordingly.
- For the second contest, comment must be posted by 6 p.m. (central) 11/13/12